Saturday, March 12, 2011

Knee Injury and Surgery


Well, of course our well meaning efforts to keep up with our blog have failed! I've been very busy with school and my project with Sea Grant and now that Jason is working and taking care of the household chores, he is very busy as well.
In late January Jason and I went to Mt. Bachelor in Bend, OR with a large group from my COAS department. We stayed in a couple of houses and had a fun party before heading out to the slopes the next day. It was a sunny beautiful day but a bit icy on the Mountain. Jason had never been skiing before and did a great job! He was fearless and fell many times but jumped back up to do it again! After going down the bunny hill a few times to teach Jason and get my ski legs back, we went up the mountain for a change in scenery and to take the easy way down. The mountain was busy and Jason and I were one hill away from the lodge when I took a fall (only my third one of the day!) and twisted my knee. I felt sheepish as ski patrol tobogganed me down to the lodge, but I thought my pride was what was mostly wounded. After a week of limping around, I went to the doctor, got an MRI and discovered that I tore my Anterior Crucial Ligament on my left knee. I have opted to get it surgically reconstructed (as opposed to not having an ACL) which will occur on March 16th, two days after my last winter final and just before spring break. While my plans to spend the majority of spring break on the beach have been foiled, it is a good time so I don't have to miss class.

Jason has been great and helps out around the house like superman. I don't know what I would do without him!
Even though I'm stuck indoors this weekend to study for finals, we did get a chance to go to the beach a couple weekends ago. It was very nice to see the ocean! Here is us putting our tripod we got for Christmas to good use: Love!!

No comments: