For two incredible weeks in November, Mom and Dad took the long flight to Australia to spend some quality time with me... and go on a wonderful vacation!
We did a lot of stuff and saw a lot of places. We stayed around Melbourne for a couple of days after they first got here. Dad was driving a rental car throughout and he did an excellent job. We drove down to Phillip Island for a day and saw the Australian Fur Seal colony and also went to the Little Penguin Parade. Also, while we were in Melbourne, we went to the Queen Victoria Market and the Melbourne Aquarium.
We then flew to Brisbane and drove from there to Coffs Harbour in New South Wales. We stayed for a week at a time share in Coffs Harbour (courtesy of Aunt Rosanna and Uncle Lynn, thanks so much!) and did several things throughout the area. We went whale watching and saw three humpback whales: a mother, a calf and another juvenile. We then went to the Bruxner Floral Reserve where we saw the Vincent Tree, one of the tallest trees in NSW. The next day was spent at Dorrigo National Park where we walked through sub-tropical and dry rainforest. The plants were amazing and the views were great. Although the views would have been better if it wasn't cloudy and raining, but it gave us a feel for what a rainforest was like. Mom and I also hiked to Crystal Shower Falls where the path brought you behind the falls. That was cool. The whole experience would have been more enjoyable without the rainforest leeches, though. They are small things that were crawling all over our shoes by the time we were half way through! Yuck.
The next morning we went to the Pet Porpoise Pool where Mom and I got to get dolphin and seal kisses. We could go up to the side of the pool and touch and play with the dolphins if they approached us. I loved it. They had a little show and we could feed a male Australian fur seal, Little Blue Penguins, Port Jackson sharks and Sea Turtles. That afternoon Mom and I went horseback riding in the rainforest. It was beautiful. Although we galloped a lot and I was really sore the next two days!
When we went to Emerald Beach just north of Coffs Harbour, Mom and Dad got to see kangaroos. There were tons of them. They also saw a type of wallaby that we couldn't identify. Another cool place we went to was the Regional Botanic Gardens. They had all different types of plant communities and we saw a koala. I was really impressed, plus, it was the first sunny day all week! That afternoon we walked out on the breakwater to Mutton Bird Island. It was soooooo windy, as you can tell from the pictures, but the clear day made it gorgeous.
It rained most of the time we were at Coffs Harbour and unfortunately the seas were rough all week so Dad and I never got to go SCUBA diving. Those are my only complaints.
We then drove back to Brisbane and flew from there to Melbourne. The next morning we then started out on our journey down the Great Ocean Road to Warrnambool. The Great Ocean Road is truely an amazing drive. My only complaint is the weather: windy, off and on rain and patchy sunshine. It was so windy I felt like my face aged 10 years. We drove through the town of Lorne, where I had my orientation trip and continued on to the Twelve Apostles. We had to crouch under a bush while a patch of driving rain went over us before we could get the whole view. We also stopped at Lord Ard Gorge, the site where a ship, the Lord Ard, wrecked and only 2 passengers survived. There are some great rock formations there as well as an interesting and tragic history.
That night we stayed in Port Campbell and our hotel room was two stories and had a jet spa in the bathroom! I was very happy. The next morning we stopped and saw the London Bridge, a natural bridge, and then headed off to Warrnambool. Mom and Dad didn't have much time to spend in Warrnambool (where I go to school) but we did manage to go out to Tower Hill where they got to see some more kangaroos, a koala and some emus. We then said our goodbyes as Mom and Dad headed back to Geelong for the night and then they flew back home the next morning.
We had an amazing time and I miss them so much. I am so thankful that they could come to visit me and we could do all of those things. There is much more to our vacation story and these are just a few pictures that I picked out to put on the blog. Trust me, we have hundreds more. Hope you enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
We did a lot of stuff and saw a lot of places. We stayed around Melbourne for a couple of days after they first got here. Dad was driving a rental car throughout and he did an excellent job. We drove down to Phillip Island for a day and saw the Australian Fur Seal colony and also went to the Little Penguin Parade. Also, while we were in Melbourne, we went to the Queen Victoria Market and the Melbourne Aquarium.
We then flew to Brisbane and drove from there to Coffs Harbour in New South Wales. We stayed for a week at a time share in Coffs Harbour (courtesy of Aunt Rosanna and Uncle Lynn, thanks so much!) and did several things throughout the area. We went whale watching and saw three humpback whales: a mother, a calf and another juvenile. We then went to the Bruxner Floral Reserve where we saw the Vincent Tree, one of the tallest trees in NSW. The next day was spent at Dorrigo National Park where we walked through sub-tropical and dry rainforest. The plants were amazing and the views were great. Although the views would have been better if it wasn't cloudy and raining, but it gave us a feel for what a rainforest was like. Mom and I also hiked to Crystal Shower Falls where the path brought you behind the falls. That was cool. The whole experience would have been more enjoyable without the rainforest leeches, though. They are small things that were crawling all over our shoes by the time we were half way through! Yuck.
The next morning we went to the Pet Porpoise Pool where Mom and I got to get dolphin and seal kisses. We could go up to the side of the pool and touch and play with the dolphins if they approached us. I loved it. They had a little show and we could feed a male Australian fur seal, Little Blue Penguins, Port Jackson sharks and Sea Turtles. That afternoon Mom and I went horseback riding in the rainforest. It was beautiful. Although we galloped a lot and I was really sore the next two days!
When we went to Emerald Beach just north of Coffs Harbour, Mom and Dad got to see kangaroos. There were tons of them. They also saw a type of wallaby that we couldn't identify. Another cool place we went to was the Regional Botanic Gardens. They had all different types of plant communities and we saw a koala. I was really impressed, plus, it was the first sunny day all week! That afternoon we walked out on the breakwater to Mutton Bird Island. It was soooooo windy, as you can tell from the pictures, but the clear day made it gorgeous.
It rained most of the time we were at Coffs Harbour and unfortunately the seas were rough all week so Dad and I never got to go SCUBA diving. Those are my only complaints.
We then drove back to Brisbane and flew from there to Melbourne. The next morning we then started out on our journey down the Great Ocean Road to Warrnambool. The Great Ocean Road is truely an amazing drive. My only complaint is the weather: windy, off and on rain and patchy sunshine. It was so windy I felt like my face aged 10 years. We drove through the town of Lorne, where I had my orientation trip and continued on to the Twelve Apostles. We had to crouch under a bush while a patch of driving rain went over us before we could get the whole view. We also stopped at Lord Ard Gorge, the site where a ship, the Lord Ard, wrecked and only 2 passengers survived. There are some great rock formations there as well as an interesting and tragic history.
That night we stayed in Port Campbell and our hotel room was two stories and had a jet spa in the bathroom! I was very happy. The next morning we stopped and saw the London Bridge, a natural bridge, and then headed off to Warrnambool. Mom and Dad didn't have much time to spend in Warrnambool (where I go to school) but we did manage to go out to Tower Hill where they got to see some more kangaroos, a koala and some emus. We then said our goodbyes as Mom and Dad headed back to Geelong for the night and then they flew back home the next morning.
We had an amazing time and I miss them so much. I am so thankful that they could come to visit me and we could do all of those things. There is much more to our vacation story and these are just a few pictures that I picked out to put on the blog. Trust me, we have hundreds more. Hope you enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Mom at Byron Bay. This was along the way from Brisbane to Coffs Harbour. Byron Bay is the most easterly point on the Australian mainland. It was a gorgeous day and we saw dolphins body surfing and even a couple of manta rays!
Mom and Dad at the London Bridge.
The Razorback limestone formation.
Just another great view along the Great Ocean Road near the Lord Ard Gorge.
Look at those waves!
The Lord Ard Gorge.
Thunder Cave
One last scenic picture of Victoria's beautiful coastline.
P.S. Pictures of Amy, Traci and I making a Thanksgiving dinner will be coming soon! (Despite what you may think, it actually turned out really well)
1 comment:
Looks like you had an great time with your parents! Your pictures are amazing!
It was a little weird being home for Thanksgiving and not getting to see you!
Miss you!
Post a Comment