Happy Easter from Australia!!!
I've been super busy lately with tons of assignments. I have to write 8 papers this semester, YUCK! So most of my time has been spent sitting at my computer doing homework... I did allow myself a one day vacation recently to go swim with the dolphins at Sorrento in Port Phillip Bay!
The day was full of grand adventure and I had a blast! Unfortunately, we spotted no dolphins :( That is a bummer, especially because they have had a 85% success rate this season... But, never-the-less, I had a blast! The boat took us across the bay from our starting point, Queenscliff, to Portsea where we snorkel near the pier. I saw three leafy seadragons (my favorite part), a sting ray, a sea urchin, a sea star and tons of jellyfish!
Then we got back on the boat (I was freezing because my wetsuit was too big) and headed off to the bachelor seal colony. The boat ride was very entertaining and there was a net that we could lay off of the boat during the journey. We arrived at the seal colony and jumped in the water to swim with the seals! It was awesome. I didn't get to see as many seals in the water as I would have liked, but I did get close to one for a brief moment. I twisted my head and he looked me in the eye and mimicked my movement before swimming away.
During the trip back to Portsea, I hitched a ride on a rope off of the net. It was really fun. Once we got to the pier, I jumped off of the platform on the top of the boat a couple of times just for fun. Then we cruised back to Queenscliff. Seeing dolphins would have been amazing, but I still had a great time and the trip was completely worth it. Here are some selected pictures for you to enjoy. Thanks so much to Amy for who took them with her underwater camera!! :)
I've been super busy lately with tons of assignments. I have to write 8 papers this semester, YUCK! So most of my time has been spent sitting at my computer doing homework... I did allow myself a one day vacation recently to go swim with the dolphins at Sorrento in Port Phillip Bay!
The day was full of grand adventure and I had a blast! Unfortunately, we spotted no dolphins :( That is a bummer, especially because they have had a 85% success rate this season... But, never-the-less, I had a blast! The boat took us across the bay from our starting point, Queenscliff, to Portsea where we snorkel near the pier. I saw three leafy seadragons (my favorite part), a sting ray, a sea urchin, a sea star and tons of jellyfish!
Then we got back on the boat (I was freezing because my wetsuit was too big) and headed off to the bachelor seal colony. The boat ride was very entertaining and there was a net that we could lay off of the boat during the journey. We arrived at the seal colony and jumped in the water to swim with the seals! It was awesome. I didn't get to see as many seals in the water as I would have liked, but I did get close to one for a brief moment. I twisted my head and he looked me in the eye and mimicked my movement before swimming away.
During the trip back to Portsea, I hitched a ride on a rope off of the net. It was really fun. Once we got to the pier, I jumped off of the platform on the top of the boat a couple of times just for fun. Then we cruised back to Queenscliff. Seeing dolphins would have been amazing, but I still had a great time and the trip was completely worth it. Here are some selected pictures for you to enjoy. Thanks so much to Amy for who took them with her underwater camera!! :)











No comments:
Post a Comment